Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Merry Christmas To Me

This year for Christmas I bought a house.  Its my first place.  It looked decent in the inside and, although it smelled (and still does) of sickeningly sweet air freshener, it seemed to lack structural issues, old windows, and worn out mechanicals that would cause J and I to invest money in those big ticket items right up front. 
Its a 1400 square foot farm house built in 1880 but I think the interior looks more like 1995.  There are two bedrooms and two bathrooms, one of which is a master suite.  The kitchen is large compared to our previous rentals and there is a double oven which may turn out to be a nice feature.  The house sits on a double lot and there is an area that is fully fenced for our future canine family members.  The two-car detached garage is already turning out to be a great feature as I dont have to clear my car of snow or wait for my frozen engine to come back to life before heading to work.
All in all there is a lot to work with here.  There arent many NECESSARY projects but there are a ton of things we would like to do to the place.  Aside from adding our personal touches, we would like to restore some of the 1880 charm while still keeping the space functional.
Right now most of the walls are baby poop brown.  This weekend that will change.  After cleaning the place from top to bottom, our first project will be to spackle, sand, prime, and paint the living room.  We were going to paint the bedroom first but it makes more sense to paint the living room so we can unpack those boxes of books and display items.  If I can find my camera amongst the partially unpacked boxes I would love to post some "in progress" shots of our efforts so check back later!